Sunday 23 March 2014

甜醤油 - Tian Jiang You - Chinese sweet aromatic soy sauce

This is one of the best useful Chinese base sauce.
It has a great aroma, similar to Chinese 5 spices but even better to me.

In the next post I'll go through a Chinese cousin that is quite popular in Japan - 雲白肉 "Yun bai rou". This sauce is must thing for the recipe.
But not only that, I used this sauce for fried rice, fried chicken, BBQ ribs sauce, boiled broccoli etc usually mix with soy sauce, sake, Shal Hsing rice wine etc.
One spoon of this make any simple stir fry to add some real Chinese flavor.
The quantity makes a lot to use, usually I make this quantity and keep a bottle of the sauce in refrigerator all time; it can store up to 3 months without problem (I believe it can last longer, but it never remained that long in my home).

Ingredients
200 ml soy sauce
100 ml sake
120g sugar
* 2 thumb size orange or clementine peel - dried for few days (or use dried orange when you forgot to eat...)
* a half  thumb size piece of Chinese cinnamon stick (substitute by a regular cinnamon stick but just a long one peel should do)
* 3 pot of star anise,
* 10 - 15 Sichuan pepper corns
* 2 slice of ginger (with skin but cleaned)
3-4 cm leak (white part)

Note: basically same amount of all listed with *


By the way, that's my 200ml coffee cups. I know it is just 200ml 'cause I once checked using real majoring cup. Now I don't need the ugly majoring cup anymore 'cause I know this works.

Method
1. Put all in a pot and put on medium high heat, mix them using spoon and make sure all sugar melt in the sauce.
2. Turn down the heat to low once it start to boil.
3. Continue cooking until the sauce reduce to about 60%, the sauce should be thick as gum syrup.

4. Stop the heat, strain the sauce to a clean container, close the lid and wait until it gets totally cool down.
5. Store the container in a refrigerator; you can keep it up to 3 months without any problem.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment